Thursday, July 8, 2010

I'm surrounded

As I'm sitting here trying to beat the heat, my eyes are drawn to my furry little friends. They're sprawled in various locations throughout the apartment, snoozing away until it gets to be a little cooler in here. And, because I feel like it, I thought I'd post about my little rats.

Princess is the first cat that 'adopted' me. She showed up in my backyard one day. And slowly but surely, she started working her way into my heart, then into my house. She's quite fat, and very dignified. Ha ha, she's fun to harass sometimes.

Miss Priss is a rather elusive creature. She's one of several feral cats that I feed on my back porch. She'd lived there since she was a little kitten. On one of the hottest days last summer, I walked out onto my back porch to discover that she was birthin' some babies right there on the corner of my deck! I couldn't bear to think of what was going to happen to them as the day wore on, what with the heat and the stray dogs, so I somehow managed to scoop her and the two kittens she'd just birthed into a kitty carrier and then into my bathroom. I put them in a cardboard box that I just happened to have on hand, and they lived beside my toilet for 6 months. She wouldn't let me touch her, and often threatened to bite me while I was using the bathroom. I figured she'd run outside one day after the kittens were older. She did, but then oddly enough, she came back inside at the end of the day. And she started to rub on my legs, and ask to be petted. Yup, she's a pet now. Who'd have thunk it? Of course, if anyone else comes inside, she's nowhere to be found, and she still freaks out if I try anything crazy, like picking her up. But nonetheless, a pet she is.

Spike is a fearless little creature. If anything is drug out of place in the house, she is ALWAYS to blame. But she's also so darned cute and affectionate. Spike comes from Miss Priss's litter. Her most annoying trick is climbing on top of the curtain rods and surverying the world from up high.

More kitty posting later (yes there are more kitties, sigh!).

1 comment:

Michele said...

Ah, someone after my own heart! We have 4 cats. And usually they start as strays. Having grown up in the country I was used to having feral cats all the time. yours are so cute