Monday, October 25, 2010

We interrupt this vacation...

Okay, okay, so I've only had time to post about the first day of my fantabulous vacation. But that's because I have been frantically trying to finish some pieces for an exchange/mini holiday this past weekend!

From Thursday through Saturday, I have travelled back forth to Myrtle Beach to particpate in Cross Stitch Pals' Fall Fling event. These ladies have been getting together at the beach to stitch, swap finished goodies, and just plain have fun. Mom found them and we both decided to go check things out this year.

There were three different exchanges of stitched goods during the course of the weekend. I participated in every one, but I didn't finish a single one of my projects until the very last minute! I had promised myself that I would take a photo of each of the pieces I gave away. Ha ha. I finally got around to dragging the camera out just before the final exchange. So here's a pin pillow that I gave away:

It's a freebie design from Blackbird Designs. I stitched it over one with a hand-dyed cotton fiber. I plan on redoing this one for myself at some point in the near future. I got the cutest little Christmas 'box' in this same exchange:

The box was stitched by MyraG. She replaced the red fibers in the snow globe with red beads. Isn't it just the cutest thing! Now I'm in a hurry for Thanksgiving to come and go so that I can put this sweetie on display!
There was also a Halloween exchange. I stitched a Homespun Elegance design that was in JCS back in '08. There is another, mostly finished version of this same ornament that I plan on finishing for myself as soon as I get hold of some more stuffing. Here's the adorable little pillow that I got in this exchange. It was made by Karen D. I'm a sucker for all things overdyed, and I've develped a recent love for primitive needlework, so this was right up my alley!

And notice the shaker basket in the background? That was one of my purchases from the mini-store at the retreat. I'm going to add a couple of other Halloween themed smalls (when I stitch them, that is) to the basket and use it for a holiday display.
Finally, there was a Christmas ornament exchange. No photo of my ornie, but here's what I got from Karen SC:

It's such a gorgeous motif, and I just love the beaded finishing that Karen used!
And just in case all the stitchy yumminess isn't enough to make you jealous, check out the view I had every time I looked up from my needlework:

Mom taught a few classes:

And for her "Witch is in" class, she dressed for the occasion:

The last night of the retreat, I walked out to the beach around sunset to spy on the comic convention folks who were meeting below our room. I got a fabulous photo of the pier at sunset:

That photo had to make up for the crappy quality of the photos I took of the zombie walk. The invasion headed down the beach, and I stalked them for a ways:



Until finally, one of the zombies came after me:

Happily, I escaped the zoms, and had a wonderful time all around hanging out with some new friends. I took no pictures of the people I was with, continuing a long tradition of going places and rarely capturing my companions on 'film.' I keep saying I should do something about that. Hey, at least I managed to take a couple of photos of Mom!

3 comments:

Karen said...

I was wondering who got my little halloween pillow! i am so glad you like it! it was a very fun stitch. I used dark chocolate GAST and coffee dyed some fabric for it. :)

Carolyn NC said...

It was great meeting you and your mom! And yes, you have been on a whirlwind, but your Egypt pics were wonderful! Love all the stitching and exchanges!

Faye said...

Hey Robin,

It sure was nice meeting you at PALS!! And, your mom!!! Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting...Good luck on the giveawy btw.. Cant wait until next stitching trip as it is always fun to meet new stitcher and have fun stitiching also! The goodies you took and carried home are just beautiful... I love them all! You are take care and stay in touch! Faye