Friday, December 2, 2011

1st Tag -- Done!

There's nothing for getting a girl out of a creative slump like reading/watching Tim Holtz create his gorgeous Christmas tags! I made my interpretation of his first tag last night:


One of the things that I find most entertaining about recreating his tags is trying to come up with alternative methods for creating a look when I don't have the same materials that Tim Holtz does. For example, I do not have a die cutting/embossing machine. What I did have was some brown embossed paper. So I used some Distress Inks to color the embossed paper and sprinkled a little Marshmallow Glimmer Mist over top to try to imitate his frosted look. It's not the same, but I still think it looks pretty good.

To replace the die cut leaves, I pulled some Prima velvet leaves I happened to have, sprayed them with some Mallard Glimmer Mist to make them a bluer shade of green, and added a Distress Inked swirl at the bottom for a little more detail. My pine cones are just cardstock that I hand cut into a round, swirly state before twirling around a toothpick like Tim suggests in his video. Man, I love that toothpick tip, it makes paper pinecone/flowers soooo much easier to make! The scroll is from some Tim Holtz kraft paper, I hand cut the shape and used some Distress Inks on it. And finally, I just happened to have some pearls from another project, so drop, drop, down they go onto the tag.

You can see Tim's tag, and the instructions for how he made it here:
Tim Holtz's blog

The hardest part of the project were the letters. I glittered them right after work and left them to dry. I came back around midnight to find that they had been scattered across the floor. Ahem. I suppose I could inspect each cat to see which one has glitter butt. But I decided to take a pass this time around. What I wouldn't give for a craft room with a door so I could lock curious kittens AWAY from my works in progress!

2 comments:

Chris said...

Tag looks amazing!
The kitties were just trying to help:)

Danielle said...

Great version of Tim's tag. Love that you used your own cut Noel letters.