Monday, November 8, 2010

It's been a double savings year

Happy Monday, everyone! Hope everyone was able to enjoy their 'extra' hour this weekend. This year, I had the pleasure of getting that extra hour of sleep twice! We 'fell back' an hour while we were on vacation in Egypt. That was probably the most-needed extra hour I've ever experienced. We were getting up at 4am to visit the Valley of the Kings early, early in the morning, before the temperatures passed 'miserable' on their way to 'deadly'. It was also nice when we got back to the States, because it meant that there was only a 6 hour time difference between the two countries instead of 7.

In other news, I spent the weekend in Durham visiting Alton. He started a new job today, and we did a little unpacking at his new apartment over the weekend. Since Lucky has to take medicine on a daily basis, I took him with me. By the time we left, I think he had declared himself the boss of Alton's two cats.

I also wanted to respond to a few comments from my last post. Chris: I do put up my own Christmas Tree. I started my Junior of college, and I've had one almost every year since then. I have a huge collection of Christmas ornaments, and I try to collect one from just about everywhere I visit. I did not have a tree last year because I thought my very young kittens would tear it up. Sadly, those same kittens have not become less destructive, nor have they calmed down over the past year. I'm seriously considering waiting another year before putting up a tree again. I hate not to, but Spike is so crazy, I think she might topple the tree, or destroy a precious ornament!
Nan: I hand sewed the chenille. It was very 'feathery' so there were a couple of times when I THOUGHT I had pushed my needle through the main part of the chenille, only to discover that I wasn't anchoring anything at all! I got better at it as I went around, though. Pretty much anything you see that I finish is done by hand. I don't have a sewing machine. They kind of make me nervous.
Charlene: no, it was a fairly thin chenille. I liked the weight of the shells, but I kept spilling them, and I couldn't figure out how to completely stuff the pin pillow to the brim with the shells. It looks fine laying flat, but it would look saggy if I tried to prop it up, which is why I'm not 100% sold on the shells. Maybe if I did a mix of shells and fiberfill? I've got quite a bit of the shells left, so I might play around with them again next time I'm ready to finish another pin pillow.

Thanks for the comments, y'all. I love knowing that someone cares enough to read my crazy ramblings! I'll close with an image of the t-shirt I wore this Halloween. Too bad I didn't know about the zombie walk at the beach ahead of time, I'll bet the x-con folks would have loved it!

No comments: